Pissouri offers an exquisite landscape, where the most beautiful colors of nature, green and blue, are harmonically combined mesmeriazing all visitors.
Pissouri Bay is standing out for its fine golden sand, multi-coloured small pebbles, moderate waves and generally for its crystal clear azure sea.
Pissouri Amphitheatre was built in 2000. It has a capacity of 800 seats, perfect acoustics and amazing views across Pissouri towards the sea.
Pissouri Community Council has transformed the old-ruined police station to a multifunctional center
The picturesque village of Pissouri is located in Limassol district. It lies about 30 km west of Limassol and is halfway through Limassol and Paphos. It is the third largest village in the administrative area of Limassol. Its south area extends to the sea. It is built in a green hillside just 3 km northwest of Cape "Aspro".
One rumour states that it took its name from the ancient city "Voosoura" mentioned by the ancient historian Strabo which was located in the surroundings of the Pissouri area. Another rumour relates the name of the village with events that happened during very dark nights (In the Cypriot dialect the word "Pissouri" means "very dark"). One tradition says that the 300 "Alamanoi" saints who came to Cyprus from Palestine to hermitage in various parts of the island, arrived at the bay of Pissouri during such dark night. Another tradition mentions that the escape of the Holy Fathers who were persecuted during the early Christian years, was made through a dark area at night. Eventually it is believed that the interpretation of the name of the village is simpler. At some point in time, resin was being produced in the region and thus the village got its name. Resin from pitch pine must have been produced in the region during the Byzantine period and during the Frankish period.
Pissouri receives an annual rainfall amounts of 447 mm. The main production is the variety of "Sultanina" grapes produced mainly in the enchanting valley that stretches to the Pissouri Bay. Also cultivated olive, carob and almond trees are grown.
The village has experienced continuous population growth. In 1881 the inhabitants were 482, increasing to 956 in 1931 (860 Greek Cypriots and 96 Turkish Cypriots) and in 1960 amounted to 1072 (1053 Greek Cypriots and 19 Turkish Cypriots). After 1964 because of intercommunal riots that followed the Turkish Cypriot mutiny, the few Turkish Cypriots of Pissouri left the village and moved to neighboring separate Turkish Cypriot villages, as instructed by Ankara for creating powerful Turkish Cypriot enclaves. In 1973, all Greek Cypriots of Pissouri were 1030. Today the villagers including foreign residents of the village are amounted to 1400.
The latest years were devoted to tourism development in the region and especially the beach of Pissouri, which has a special beauty and has been awarded the European Blue Flag.
Apart from the crystal clear waters that make it attractive to foreigners, Pissouri beach extends in a majestic landscape of outstanding natural beauty that starts from Cape "Aspro" and ends on the other rocky area called "Mavrorotsos". Protected from Cape "Aspro", with its tall vertical sides, this creates a wonderful combination of mountain and sea giving the area its uniqueness.
"Columbia" hotel is built on the beach area, as well as many other tourist accommodation, restaurants and souvenir shops to better serve local and foreign tourists who visit the unique beauty of the area of Pissouri everyday.
Pissouri can be characterized as one of the most remarkable tourist areas of Cyprus, because it combines mountain and sea, has all the amenities for a pleasant stay and boasts traditional hospitality and the warm friendly atmosphere that accompanies the foreign visitors.
The proximity of the village to the remarkable archaeological sites of Kourion and Palaipaphos gives an opportunity for foreign visitors on short trips to these areas.
Finally we should say that every summer in the village square, foreign visitors and locals enjoy tasty Cypriot food in a fun, entertaining atmosphere created by the various art programs and dance bands.
The small church of St. George is located in Kamaroudi area at the public road to the village Alektora within 3 km from Pissouri.
Built in 1958 at the expense of Mr. Aristos A. Liasidi.
The church celebrates on Easter Wednesday.
The chapel of Prophet Elias is located in the Saint Elias piney hillside west of Pissouri and within 2 km of it. Built in 1960, carved in rock at the expense of Mr. Agamemnon Ar. Foutas. The chapel was restored in 2002.
The chapel of Prophet Elias has very ancient rock paintings in its interior.
Celebrates on Easter Monday and on 20th July.
The church of Saint Alexander was built in 1990 in a place donated by Mr. Leonidas Liasides Kotzias at the expense of Mr. G. Kyriazis Galatea.
In the old days there was a big bush of terebinths where the faithful Christians used to go for praying. They also used to hang clothes of sick children on the bush branches so they could be healed by the Saint.
His memory is celebrated on 30th August and 12th December where solemn liturgy is celebrated by the residents of the community.
To the east of the plain of Linidon at the foot of the hill of Saint Mauritius, the present church of Saint Mauritius was built on the foundations of the old church at the expense of Mr. Pericles Stasi family.
At the expense of the residents of Pissouri the church grew bigger, was maintained and fenced in 2001.
Saint Mauritius is also called the healer of skantharos (blisters). Taking soil from inside the church and making mud you can create ointment which can then be applied on the part of skantharos (blister). In just a few hours the patient will be well and cured.
The saint's festival takes place every year on 12th September. The ancient church of Saint Mauritius was recently restored and is an attraction for tourists and many Christians.
Every Easter Thursday there is a liturgy and a great feast is being made in honor of the saint.
Panayia of Akonopetra
The church in honor of Holy Mary is built on the hill "Akonopetra", west of the Community Amphitheatre.
The site belongs to the Church of Saint Andrew and the expenditure was made by financial contributions of Pissouri residents and the supervision of works was donated by Mr. Kyriakos D. Mavroudis.
Celebration and liturgy every November 21st.
|The President and the Members of Pissouri's Community Council -of the Limassol District -that have been elected in the Municipal elections of the 18th of December 2011, in accordance with the "On Communities" Law, N.86(I)/199, are the following:|
|The Pissouri Community Council Personnel :|
|EMPLOYEES AND WORKERS|
|Xarikleia Iordanous||Secretarial Employee||99441963|
|Neophytos Neophytou||Secretarial Employee||99342900|
|Fedra Kkouta||Secretarial Employee|
|Sophoclis Sophocleous||Truck Driver||99630576|
|Antwnis Petsa||Garbage collector||25933974|
|Nikos Symeou||General Worker||99179332|
|Michalis Iaswnos||General Worker||99165895|
|Vrywnis Petsa||General Worker||99652857|
|Xristoforos Kattos||General Worker||99688396|
Pissouri Community Council Consultative Subcommittees
|1.||Sotiroulla Antoniou||Chairwoman (99594847)|
|2.||Kyriakos Psomatis||Member (99463509)|
Β) Green and Environment
|1.||Giannis Paggeras||Chairman (99545038)|
|2.||Kostas Kaizer||Member (99555888)|
|3.||Sotiroulla Antoniou||Member (99594847)|
|1.||George Kouklis||Chairman (99466566)|
|2.||Giannis Paggeras||Member (99545038)|
|3.||Mavroudes Mettouris||Member (99440434)
|1.||Panikos Perikleous||Chairman (99577428)|
|2.||Stelios Leonida||Member (99487184)|
|3.||Sotiroulla Antoniou||Member (99594847)|
E) Health - Defibrillator
|1.||Kyriakos Psomatis||Chairman (99463509)|
|2.||Mavroudes Mettouris||Member (99487184)|
|3.||Panikos Perikleous||Member (99577428)|
F) Tourism and Development
|1.||Mavroudes Mettouris||Chairman (99440434)|
|2.||Kyriakos Psomatis||Member (99463509)|
|4.||Kostas Kaizer||Member (99555888)|
Pissouri Multifunctional Centre
It is a historical fact that the abandoned, ruined and destroyed old Police Station by EOKA B' (1973) has malformed into a cultural and historical point of our community. One of the main goals of the current community Board was to transform this old and ruined building into a new, modern construction which will give to the visitor a pleasant first impression, since it is located in the entrance of our community.
The continuous negotiations and contact with former Interior Minister Andreas Christou, the community has achieved its goal on renovating the old police station building. The project has been completed and soon the Board will decide on the final use and functionality of the new building based on the uniqueness and diversity of exhibits on all cultural and socioeconomic benefits.
The main use of the building should be such as to give as much publicity as possible in order to drive the attention and interest of the visitors with the aim of obtaining competitive advantage over our surrounding and neighbouring areas where now they have their own cultural centres.
The formation of such conditions that allow the visitor to get to know better some of the places of interest such as the Church, Square, Auditorium, Multipurpose Center, will provide the community the ability to attract alternative tourism (conference, exhibition, cultural) replenishing the six-month gap period that our community suffers economically.
The following are some of the ideas that were brought up for the use of the multipurpose center : coins exhibition, traditional ways of producing Cypriot delights and food, the creation of a library, the combination and the coexistence of the above, etc. The final selection and operation of such uses should be regulated so as to avoid unnecessary maintenance costs on the one hand, and to ensure that the promotion and advertising by the Council shall be conducted methodically and systematically. The project will cost around € 2,000,000.
Pissouri Amphitheatre was built in 2000. It has a capacity of 800 seats, perfect acoustics and amazing views across Pissouri towards the sea, Akrotiri and Limassol. It is located at the heart of Pissouri village, just a short walk from local bars and taverns. It is the perfect venue for outdoor summer events.
A great range of events and festivities are hosted in this venue every year which are organised from all the organised groups of pissouri as well as other groups across the island and the world.
The Council of Community Prosperity has totally renovated the historical HAVOYZA of Linidion whose inauguration was performed by the Honorable Minister of Agriculture and Natural Resources Mr Kostas Themistokleous on the 16 th April 2001